Thursday, April 28, 2011

One Thing Led to Another

So, if you've been following this blog, you will know that we discovered geocaching when I received a GPS receiver designed for the sport for Christmas. Our love of getting out to discover new caches and new outdoor spots led me to discover letterboxing as well.

And if you know me, you know that when I discover something cool, I tend to jump in with both feet.

This, then, is my true confession...



I have been obsessively carving stamps for letterboxing (and for fun!) for the past few weeks!

It started with dollar packs of two pink erasers from Target and 12-pack white erasers for $1 at the Dollar Tree and an exacto knife. The photo you see is missing four stamps I carved. Two of them are already gracing letterboxes which have been placed at local cemeteries along with 2 other stamps which were the "First to Find" prizes in those caches. (I'm trying to get some other people in the area interested in letterboxing or letterbox hybrid caches in geocaching. I LOVE the artistic aspect of carving your own stamps!!)

I have used some of the stamps to make some Letterboxer Trading Cards (LTCs) which are akin to Artist Trading Cards. I've even done some trading with other letterboxers for cards.

I have several "signature" stamps with our trail name (helms2049) on them for stamping into logbooks. I've also done some for the series of gravestone symbols I'm doing in area cemeteries. I've done a couple of owls to memorialize my grandmother. Three on a Frank Lloyd Wright series and 4 for a planned letterbox series at local coffee shops.

So, that's what I've been up to! (It's SOOO addictive!!)

2 comments:

McVal said...

Whoa!! You carved all of those??! awesome...

Caffeine Girl said...

I am SO impressed. The details on the coffee and bicycle are stunning. Did you use a book to learn this? What carving tools did you use? As you can tell, I've wanted to carve stamps for quite a while!