Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Healthy Living

We are on a kick here towards better eating. (Some of the elders have recently had cholesterol checks....and are trying to better our numbers!) To that end, DD has been helping out with finding recipes for foods on the "good" list, making menus, shopping, etc. We came up with a delicious salmon meal cooked in parchment packets in the oven the other night.



She shot this photo while we were prepping the packets to go into the oven. The recipe is from this month's Everyday Cooking. We will keep this on the list of things we would make again, with a couple of slight modifications. First, we'd slice the oranges much thinner and put only a couple in each packet. (Also, I think I would try to go for the sweetest oranges I could find, not necessarily the cheapest....especially since we would not need to buy 3 as the recipe calls for.)

Secondly, instead of placing thin strips of fresh ginger on the packets (which were a real "punch" in the mouth to those who weren't expecting them!), I think we would add just a hint of fresh ginger, ground or even a pinch of ground ginger from the spice rack.

The weather has been unseasonably warm here the past few days with temperatures hovering near the 80*F mark.

I don't think I'll be turning on the oven tonight!

Thanks for sharing your photo with me Amanda! If you'd like to see more of her work, check out my DD's blog at amanda.matilda.photography!

1 comment:

McVal said...

Oh yummy!!! I'll send you a recipe or just post it one of these days for a 3 fish terrine with spinach. It was really good... Did it for St. Patty's day dinner.
stank up the house.