Saturday, September 01, 2007

New Toy

Resistance is futile. When I have the inkling that I should try a new creative venture I often put it off. I don't know why. I always cave in and give it a go eventually. Thus......

....my new toy!



I've been really curious about spinning for about a year now. I've read up on it via the web, magazines and books at the library. I've watched the spinning 101 episode on Knitty Gritty time and time again. It was the siren's voice beckoning me to jump in that I could, in the end, no longer resist!

Last week I won some Qiviuk fiber from a blog I read daily (Romancing the Yarn...button to the right.) QIVIUK!!!!! I was beyond thrilled as I've been curious about this fiber ever since I heard about it last winter. And now there is some of the glorious stuff on its way to me!!

Since it's fiber, and not yarn, my urge to spin got me to order a "Learn to Spin" kit from Nancy's Knit Knacks (no affiliation.) My kit came Thursday, and I spun all the fiber enclosed for practice in the kit last night.

What fun!!!! I'm definitely hooked! This is my first attempt.



What you might not be able to tell is that this first attempt came out as a "bulky" weight yarn. (I've got some more in process that is actually more like worsted weight.)

If you've been curious, you might want to give it a try. Hand spindles aren't that expensive. You can get prepared roving that's ready to go. And it really is wonderfully satisfying to spin your own yarn! I can't wait to get good at it and start to combine colors, add twist and slubs, get a lightweight spindle so that I can prepare sock yarn . . . . .

. . . oh, my mind is spinning with the possibilities!

Happy Knitting, Shooting . . . AND SPINNING!

No comments: