Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Problem With Reading

I visit several blogs each day. It's a habit I enjoy and I feel I have a connection to others across the blog-o-sphere who share some of the same passions I have.....fiber, food, books, travel, etc.

The problem with such a reading habit, however, is that one is likely to stumble upon a variety of buttons and counters on other blogs.

Yesterday I ran across a blog which included a "Countdown To Chrismas" clock on the sidebar.

Yikes!

That was a wake up call!

Less than 2 months left until the gift giving festivities! (Even less if you're celebrating Hanukkah!!)

I finished off the handknit gifts for guys a while back. This was not really too difficult as the hand knit portion of the guy gifts is small this year. (Especially compared to the aspirations I harbor for the ladies' gifts.)

I'm not saying who is getting what, but here is what I have thus far for the women:


Thank goodness it's a felting project! That means (generally speaking) using larger needles than I do when knitting socks. This results in quicker knitting times.

Wish me luck!! (and do you think people in warm climates need something like what's pictured above?)

5 comments:

Caffeine Girl said...

I am so impressed with how many gifts you've knitting. You are putting me to shame -- and making me feel a little panicked!

Two Cables and a Frapp said...

Oh nice !!! You are amazing. I had that wake up call regarding projects for gifts about two weeks ago and have been knitting like a speed demon ever since. Why, why does this happen to me EVERY year ?! Man those shoes are cute !!!

M.E. Greene said...

I've determined not to knit a single thing for Christmas this year. I think this might be a first for me. I just don't have an ounce of free time! Bah! I love those felted slippers you have pictured. They'll make great gifts. :)

M.E. Greene said...

I can't find your email address (it's obviously been WAY too long since I was in touch), so I thought I'd answer your Rit Dye question here. It's actually really easy to use. If you're dyeing wool, just be sure to use cool water (not hot) so that you don't end up felting the project. When I dyed this recent sweater, I used very little agitation and cool water (normally I use really hot water and agitate it a lot more). The color was lighter than what I started with (I used a dark chocolate brown dye, and the result is more of a light cocoa), but at least it didn't felt! Dyeing cotton is a little easier and it takes the color much better. I think there are better dyes out there for using with wool, but I just used what I had access to and it worked fine. :)

McVal said...

So cool! I just started my list for this year and have to get to work!!! I'm way behind. Hope no one has to get an IOU...
I think women in warm climates will want some of those too. Women get chilled, no matter where they are! Just ask my daughter.