Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Twosday

I'd like to start a campaign to change Tuesday to Twosday.

First of all, Tuesday is so named in the Scandinavian and English languages for the Nordic god, Tyr. This god is the equivalent of Mars/Ares in the Roman/Greek pantheon.
(Those who speak European romantic languages will note the connection to the Roman god Mars as in the French name for this day, Mardi.) You may recall from your schooling that Mars/Ares (and likewise Tyr) is the god of war.




Frankly, I'm not so sure I really appreciate having a day of the week named for the god of war. I'm not particularly fond of war on any scale be it world war, ethnic or civil war, the war on terrorism, family feuding or the war I have going with my cats and their use of the litter box. (Let's not go there right now!)

War has a sense of violence, destruction, pain, and endings about it. Tuesday already has the bad luck of following Monday (the worst day of the week in the opinions of many!), so why add to it by pinning the day with a name centered on bloodshed and killing? Does that really seem right? fair? appropriate?

I believe "Twosday" would be much better. We could celebrate all things that come in pairs. Twins. Shoes. Knitting needles. (Although double points come in sets of four or five.) Two scoop sundaes. Hands. Feet. Eyes. Ears. Cups of coffee. Some flower blossoms. Well, you get the point.




Also, we could stimulate the world economy by switching to Twosday. Stores everywhere could offer BOGO sales on Twosday. Buy one, get one. Twosday. Makes perfect sense to me! I'd like a good reason to go shopping (or eat out) on a Twosday, wouldn't you? I think creative business owners everywhere would have to go with me on this one. There are a ton of ways to celebrate Twosday!

(Are you listening yarn store owners??)

I suppose I should get back to work now.

Happy Twosday!

1 comment:

McVal said...

Hey! Good luck with that! I wanted the day to be called Taco Tuesday, but Taco Twosday sounds good too.
Let me know when you want me to sign the petition!