Tuesday, July 26, 2011

It's A Jungle Out There!

The sun finally got far enough west that the tall, old silver maple in our backyard had cast its cooling shadow over our yard long enough that I thought I could bear the heat long enough to go out and shoot a photo of my tomatoes to share with you today.


I liked the fact that this little grouping of four was at a point where each tomato was in a different phase of ripening. I like the ways the colors vary and I'm not sure how much longer that lovely one on the left will be on the vine.

I was so encouraged while shooting tomato photos that I decided to wander over to the other side of the house and see the day lilies blooming under the bedroom window.





Lovely, right?

Well, here's where the squeemish of heart as far as creepy-crawlies might like to stop reading for today.

Because upon closer inspection of the flowers ... (or rather when I was trying to zoom in and get a great close-up of some of the other blossoms) ... this is what I discovered:




and . . .




Yeah, that last one made me shiver with the heebie-jeebies! (Bear in mind, it's MY bedroom window this wonderfully creative weaver is skillfully catching and killing its prey beneath. If it attempts to move inside in a couple of months, I will likely die of heart failure if I encounter it indoors!)

Needless to say, I backed away (after capturing the image!) and headed right back inside to the air-conditioning.

It's a jungle out there!

1 comment:

McVal said...

Yikes! I HATE spiders like that! Especially after finding one hiding inside a roll of toilet paper once...

Are you taking some stuff to the fair? I'm planning on being down there Saturday morning to the Threads building. Probably around 9am.